Art Therapy Group at O-YA
Art Therapy Group is being hosted at O-YA by Patricia Cameron BA, DKATI, who is a professional art therapist registered with the Canadian Art Therapy Association and a registered psychotherapist (qualifying) with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario and owner of Painted Key Art Therapy.
Please note, this program is open to residents of Osgoode Ward, Kars, North Gower and Manotick. If you live outside this catchment area, please email email@example.com to be put on a Wait List if there is space available.
When: Twice a month on Mondays; February - June (February 13 & 27, March 6 & 20, April 3 & 17, May 1, 15 & 29 and June 12)
Time: 6 pm - 7:30 pm
Ages: Grades 7 - 12
Where: In person at O-YA
Cost: $200 for 10 sessions
Registration: See tickets below
What is Art Therapy?
Art therapy is a method of psychotherapy. It uses the creative process to help people with self-exploration by combining art making with traditional talk therapy. Art therapy helps people increase their wellbeing and heal from emotional difficulties. Art making can help people to express thoughts an feelings that would otherwise be difficult to articulate or talk about.
Benefits of Art Therapy
• Provide fun, relaxation, inspiration, and joy through the pleasurable act of creating art
• Allow for expression of emotions and learning emotional language – how to communicate about our feelings
• Learn ways to manage anxiety and stress by learning self-regulation techniques, grounding, and mindfulness
• Support social connections and opportunities to feel seen and heard by the group and art therapist
• Provide opportunities for choice and decision making
• Increase self-mastery, confidence, and independence
What does a session of Art Therapy look like?
- An opening check-in and sharing the focus of the session
- An optional opening activity
- The main art activity, which could be spontaneous art making or the art therapist can bring an art activity designed to focus on specific needs of the group
- Looking at the art with guiding questions, uncovering meaning and insight together
- The meaning and insight from the art can help you to process difficult experiences and gain self-awareness and understanding
Learn more about Patricia Cameron or Painted Key Art Therapy